Thursday, August 29, 2013

Ethiopian restaurant London

      My sisters visited us for a week and we had an amazing time together. I took that week off so I was able to fully enjoy our reunion. We went to London three times and also to Birmingham, Oxford and Stratford-Upon-Avon. I gave them a PROPER midlands tour (for best results read proper with a British accent :-).....).

     The highlight of the week was definitely a lovely Ethiopian restaurant Addis. Or at least to me :-). I discovered Ethiopian cuisine in New York and I was positively surprised. Since then I am a fan.

      Dishes are usually served on a pancake-like bread injera with different kinds of stews on top of it. Ethiopians eat with their right hand exclusively using pieces of injera bread to scoop up the dish. I guess we were so hungry that day that we never took a picture of the meal itself but the one below will do for now. Injera is made out of teff flour which is also gluten free.   



The restaurant is ethnically decorated and it feels very homie.  But the discovery of the week was that Ethiopians are also Orthodox Christians like Serbs, Russians, some Greeks, Romanians and Copts. When we saw an Ethiopian script on one of the walls it reminded us of a cyrillic alphabet and I asked the waiter. She confirmed and also added that Eritreans are Christians too. I though that only Copts are orthodox Christians in Africa. I love this about New York and London, the fact that they are a mix of every single culture in the world and that you can learn things like this spontaneously while grabbing a quick meal and talking to different people.  
















      I can still recall the incredible taste of my perfect vegetarian dish. It was not even expensive by UK standards. Three main course meals and three spice teas were 20 pounds. I would definitely recommend it. I hope I will have time to go ones more before we move to Prague.

                                                    Photo credit Nada Stjepanovic

22 comments:

  1. The kind of place I love!!! (new camera??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's not a new camera my sister Nada discovered some cool things on ours and probably ruined all the chances of me getting a professional one any time soon :-))).

      Delete
  2. Great food and wonderful interior!!! Such a nice place for family lunch with my sisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superiska:) Svidja mi se novi restoran:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bas je cool! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I never knew that Ethiopians are also Orthodox Christians - amazing! What a great culturally enlightening trip to a restaurant - who knew?;-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love this about London and New York!

      Delete
  6. Interesante lugar!!! me encanta la decoración!!!
    Have a great new month!! and my g+ for you!!!

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog!:))
    Zdravo Ivana, ako si jos u Bc javi se, voljela bih te vidjeti... I ja sam kod mojih ovih dana...Puno pozdrava! Dragana Andjelic andjelicdragana@yahoo.co.uk skype: andjelic.dragana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Draganaaaaaaaaaa, bas mi zao sto se na vrijeme ne uganjasmo :-(. Sledeci put. Ljubic veliki! Sibnula sam ti email.....

      Delete
  8. Place some food, I mean your local food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Local food in England or Balkan food? Will try to do a little bit of both more.....

      Delete
  9. Have a wonderful weekend!!!:))))

    Besos, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting place, I love it's decor.....but though even can't imagine Ethiopian cuisine....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it. It's the best!

      Delete
  11. lovely blog!!

    Would u like to follow each other? Let me know

    SHAN
    www.memyheelsandi.com

    ReplyDelete

FB comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...